RENEW OR BECOME A SUSTAINING FEE PAYING RC 10 MEMBER
Many Retiree Council 10 members have questions about the various terms used to explain NYSUT Retiree Council 10 membership. If you have any questions after reading this, please contact Laraine Gillette at email@example.com.
- AUTOMATIC MEMBERSHIP
- SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP
- PERMANENT SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP
- SOCIAL MEMBERSHIP
AUTOMATIC MEMBERSHIP: As a NYSUT member who retired from a school district in Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, or Washington County, a person is automatically eligible for membership in RC 10. Some local associations require a retiree to continue to pay dues to the local association in order to belong to NYSUT. If that is the case, that membership must be paid before the person becomes eligible to join RC 10. Membership in RC 10, for those retirees who meet the above requirements, is automatic. If you are not sure, check your local constitution or ask an officer in your local.
The membership list for Retiree Council 10 is maintained by NYSUT. There are approximately 10,000 members. This is the mailing list for the RC 10 SKYLINE NEWS.
SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP: Since a retiree is automatically a member of RC 10 (depending on the local association's requirements), the sustaining membership fee, that is based on the retiree’s pension, is voluntary; but the Council hopes retirees consider it a necessary cost of being a member of a successful retiree council.
Below are some of the benefits and activities made possible by the sustaining membership fee.
- The RC 10 SKYLINE NEWS that a retiree receives five times during the year.
- The volunteers that represent retirees on the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors meet on a monthly basis, speak to our legislators, attend rallies, and generally try to represent retirees and their interests.
- The Board of Directors looks for trends in changing health care as well as legislation that may hurt retirees.
- RC 10 sponsors four $1,000 scholarships each year and offers a Pre-Retirement workshop for future members.
- The Travel/Social Committee arranges numerous trips that travel one day to nearby locations and several days to locations around the world. This group works tirelessly to give all retirees some great options. Members who have paid the sustaining membership fee receive a discount on the registration fee for trips.
PERMANENT SUSTAINING MEMBERS: Members retired for 21 years or more (since 2000) are Permanent Sustaining Members and have the sustaining membership fee waived. As of March 2020, there are 1,569 permanent sustaining members.
SOCIAL MEMBERS: Retired Teachers or Retired SRPs who were employed outside the boundaries of RC 10 but who now reside within the RC 10 boundaries may become Social Members by contacting the officers of RC 10. Members of other defined RC’s who have paid the appropriate fees to their assigned RC may also become Social Members of RC 10 by completing the Membership Application and submitting the established sustaining member activity fee. This membership shall not constitute voting privileges at General Meetings held by RC 10 or the right to hold an elected or appointed office.
Please see the sustaining membership form for 2022-2023 below.